Thursday, December 31, 2015

Curried Carrot and Coconut Soup with Mushroom Crumble


Today is New Year's Eve and I know I am going to eat loads for dinner tonight so I wanted to keep my lunch quite light. I had some leftover coconut milk that I used for poaching chicken in and did not want to throw it away, it had a lovely chicken-y taste to it as well so I thought I would make some soup with it so as not to waste it. Turned out to be quite lovely, so I wanted to share my recipe with you! This soup will also do wonders tomorrow I think ;)


What do you need?

For the soup:

- 5 medium sized carrots, cut in sticks
- oil you use for roasting
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and flattened
- 1 can of coconut milk (or as in my case, coconut milk you used for poaching chicken with lemongrass)
- 1/2 litre of chicken or vegetable stock

For the crumble:

- 2 tablespoons of dried wild mushrooms, blended into a powder
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- salt
- sugar
- 1 tablespoon of butter, room temperature

What do you need to do?

Place the carrots in a roasting tin with the curry powder, oil and some salt. Use your hands to make sure all the carrots are covered in the spice and oil. Leave to roast for 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven of 200°C.
In the meantime, make the crumble by adding all the ingredients together and using your hands to work in the butter so it becomes crumbly. Place on a baking mat (or I put it on an enamel dish) and place it in the oven for about 5 minutes, stirring it from time to time. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn!
In a large pot, cook your onions and garlic until glazed and when they are done, add the carrots. They don't have to be completely cooked yet as they will simmer in the soup. Stir in the coconut milk and stock and leave to simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
Finish off by blending until smooth and serving it hot topped with some of the crumble!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment