Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Savoury Crumble with Chicory, Courgette and Goat's Cheese

So sometimes I bake stuff in the oven. And because I don't have a sweet tooth and my preference to dessert mainly goes to English warm desserts. Yes I just confessed that I love British food. I started boarding school in the UK at the age of 12. I have never been a fussy eater and the day I was confronted with fish and chips, curly fries, roast lunch and treacle pudding, I was sold. And quite frankly, nothing warms the tummy as much as a good old fashioned apple (or rhubarb, or peach, or any nice fruit) crumble.

Because I had too much of these lovely dishes when I was a teenager, I have decided to go "healthy" "healthier" with my dish for today. My savoury crumble only contains vegetables and coconut oil instead of butter. Of course you can use butter and normal flour instead of the spelt flour I used, it won't change the flavour a lot, but if you decide to make it a little more "light" then you can use my healthy options. The healthy alternatives for normal flour and butter were influenced by the great Princess Misia ;)




What do you need? ( serves 4 as a side dish, 2 as a main)

- 1 courgette, sliced and each slice quartered.
- 2 chicory, sliced
- 1 tbsp dried herbes de provence
- 35g of coconut oil (or butter)
- 85g of spelt flour (or regular all purpose flour)
- salt & pepper
- crumbly but soft goat's cheese
- 2 spring onions, sliced





What do you need to do?

Pre-heat your oven at 180°C
Start of by softening the vegetables in a frying pan with a small amount of coconut oil or olive oil. Add some salt and pepper to season, but not too much as the cheese and crumble will also season the dish. Finish by adding the spring onions and leave on a low heat.
In the meantime prepare the crumble mix. Add the spelt flour and coconut oil in a bowl and mix together. If the coconut oil is still too hard to mix together, place in your microwave oven for a couple of seconds and try again. Repeat if necessary. Then add the herbs to the mix, some salt and pepper, mix and place aside.
When the vegetables have softened you can add a pinch of sugar to cut the bitterness of the chicory. But this is not obligatory.
Grab an ovendish and add the vegetables. Then crumble in the goat's cheese and mix around carefully, making sure the cheese is everywhere.
Cover everything evenly with the crumble mix and place in the oven until bubbly on the sides and golden in the middle.

Enjoy your not-so-british-but-humble-crumble ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment