Sunday, July 21, 2013

Fresh Herby Tabouleh With Aubergine and Turkey

When it's as hot outside as it has been lately I don't feel like eating much. I am sure you all feel the same way. And if I do eat, I tend to keep it light and fresh. I have to admit, I have been craving a meat lasagna for a while now but I am trying to stay away. I will probably cave this weekend, or the next. Or any time I have some more time so I can leave the tomato sauce cooking for a couple of hours. But I don't have a couple of hours when I cook in the evening, do I? No, I don't. So I have to come up with quick and tasty stuff that the boyfriend will equally enjoy and like and not complain about. So I thought tabouleh. I used to hate tabouleh and couscous. I had gotten ill when I was little, a couple of hours after having eaten a tabouleh. But I have learned to eat it again and now I love experimenting with it. This is a tabouleh recipe, but not any old tabouleh recipe. This is a fresh tabouleh with lots of flavour and herbs and vegetables. Really good to eat and really good for you :)


 
 
What do you need?
 
- a handful of chopped flat leaf parsley (stalks can be finely chopped and added as well)
- a handful of chopped mint leaves
- a whole aubergine chopped in cubes
- half a cucumber chopped in cubes
- one cup of bulgar wheat prepared as the packaging instructs
- half a cup of crumbled feta
- juice of a whole lemon
- a good splash of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- cooked and cubed turkey breast
- cherry tomatoes, halved
 
What do you need to do?
 
Tabouleh is one of those dishes you make on a whim. I do anyway. This recipe is one of those where you can just throw everything together and it's done.
I always start with the warm elements of the dish, that way they can cool down and combine well with the rest of the ingredients. So prepare your bulgar wheat as instructed on the pack. While that is happening, cook your chopped aubergine in some olive oil for about 10 minutes in a nicely hot pan. When these are cooked, replace the aubergine with the turkey in the pan. Brown on both sides and chop it into cubes. The aubergine, bulgar wheat and turkey can be added to a cbowl and left aside to cook, but keep the bowl near!
 
Finely chop the mint and parsley. Don't worry if some parsley stalks come into the mix, as long as it is finely chopped it's all good. Add these to the bowl. Halve the tomatoes and they can be added too, as well as half a cucumber that needs to be cubed as well. Pour over the lemon juice, salt and pepper, add the crumbled feta and stir it all together.
 
You can eat this on its own as it has all you need: meat and veg. Leave out the turkey if you want to eat it as an accompaniment to a nice piece of lamb ;)




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment