Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sookie Stackhouse's Cranberry, Tomato and Chicken Salad

Yes I am a sucker for Sookie... I love reading the True Blood books which I re-read very often and I am a fan of the TV series as well. I wish there would be more food references so you can imagine how my brain started whirring when this happened:

I am currently reading the most recent published book and I got inspired by Sookie for this very simple but bursting with flavour salad. In the book is mentioned that she makes herself a tomato, cranberry and chicken salad. So I got curious and tried to imagine what that would taste like. My imagination told me ok so my brain was all like: let's do this sh*t!

What I love about this salad is that it contains  lots of red, which goes extremely well with the Sookie Stackhouse stories for those who are familiar with them... ;)

Basically, the salad consists of some cooked white chicken, mixed salad leaves, cherry tomatoes and cranberries with a tangy lemon and raspberry dressing. The sour goes well with the sweet cranberries and cherry tomatoes. Perfect as a light lunch and packed with vitamin C, you should definitely give my version of Sookie's salad a go ;)


What do you need? (2 people)

- 100g of chicken breast
- a large handful of dried cranberries
- Mixed salad leaves
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey or stevia
- 4 tbsp raspberry vinegar

What do you need to do?

For the dressing, you need to combine the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, honey or stevia and raspberry vinegar in a bottle or a tupperware you can close firmly. Shake and place in the fridge.

I cooked my chicken in the oven with a little bit of olive oil for about 20-30 minutes on 180°C. Check that your chicken is completely cooked when you take it out of the fridge by cutting it in two and having a look to see if it is still pink in the middle or not. Then chop it up into cubes.

Then lay all the ingredients together on a plate, drizzle your lemon and raspberry dressing over it and voilĂ ! 

Now grab yourself one of the True Blood novels, lay out a towel in the sun and enjoy your salad as it should be enjoyed :) You are ready to have lunch Sookie Stackhouse style ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment