Monday, June 17, 2013

Roast Guinea Fowl with Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary

If there is one thing I am passionate about and it is not food or (my) cats it is free stuff. I don't care what it is, if it's free I'll take it. That is also how people might confuse me to be a light hoarder. But don't worry, I am not. I just enjoy free stuff.
Having said all that, Guinea fowl is certainly not for free. As a matter of fact it is far from free. It is a fancy chicken and an expensive chicken to boot! But it is my man's favourite birthday meal and since he turned 30 I thought I'd do him a favour and cook him his fancy chicken.

So this meal was not for free but my recipe is and it was juicy and tasty and good. So if you need a simple but tasty recipe for Guinea fowl, do try this. And on the other hand, if you're more into less expensive fowl or guinea fowl seems way out of your league because you don't actually know what it is, you can use the same recipe and cooking time for a regular chicken. But even though I may diss the guinea fowl, I am a fan and it is worth spending a bit more on, especially when you're cooking for nice company or a special occasion.



What do you need?

- 1 guinea fowl (feeds about 3-4 people)
- Half a lemon
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 bulb of garlic left whole with the tops cut off
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 knob of butter

What do you need to do?

This recipe is quite easy and you can prepare it beforehand, leave it in the fridge and pop it in a pre-heated oven an hour or so before you want to serve it.
I also placed some peeled, uncooked potatoes around my expensive bird so I would have an easy meal in one go. This made for some tasty roast potatoes! They need to cook around the same amount of time as the guinea fowl so it's all good. Just peel and add to the oven dish. (Yes I got a real large one from Ikea it fits EVERYTHING muhahaha!)

So before prepping your guinea fowl, pre-heat the oven to about 200°C. When that's underway, take the guinea fowl and stuff it with the half a lemon and rosemary. Place it in the dish and press some knobs of butter onto the fowl. Season well with salt and pepper and some olive oil to help the butter make the skin crispy. Lay the bulb of garlic near the guinea fowl and drizzle it with olive oil as well. If you want to cook the potatoes at the same time, add them around the bird and drizzle them with oil and season them with salt. Place it in the oven and time it for an hour.

After about half an hour, take the dish out and spoon some of the juice over the chicken so it will remain nice and juicy. If you have the potatoes as well, you can give them a turn, making sure they don't stick to the bottom of the dish.

Repeat 15 minutes later.

After an hour it should be cooked. You can check this by sticking your knife in one of the legs and if clear liquid come out, you're golden :)

Don't forget that you can eat the garlic cooked with the guineau fowl! It is nice and sweet but still has that strong garlicky taste. I mash a clove together with a small amount of the meat's juice and a potato or two ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment