Sunday, June 30, 2013

Let's Breakfast! Savoury Oat Pancakes

So apparently breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day. In my case you could say it is the most important meal of the weekend and change "breakfast" into "brunch". So I don't really eat breakfast except that thermos of green tea and some crackers at the office around 11am. I know, it's not good but I hate eating at 7am and so I don't until I am awake enough to do so.


Because I used to go to school in the UK and grew up in a boarding school over there, I have this thing for oats. I really like hot oatmeal with honey or fruit and I won't deny it even though I have met a million people who think oatmeal is gross. For these people I have thought of this recipe.
I decided to make savoury pancakes simply because they are a weekend breakfast food and most of the times I brunch on Saturday and Sunday. I used no flour, insted I make an oatmeal mix and add an egg or two and voilĂ ! Pancakes! Add some smoked salmon and a runny egg and there you have brunch!


What do you need? (for 6 pancakes)

- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups of oats (I used Quaker Oats)
- 1 tsp of salt
- some butter the pan (unless you have a non-stick pan but I trust butter more)
- some smoked salmon
- 2 eggs for the pancakes mixture + as many as you need to serve.


What do you need to do?

Making these pancakes is not much of a challenge. Start by mixing together the oats and milk. Then add two eggs and the salt and whisk it all together.
Heat up some butter in a pan and add a ladle of the pancake mix which you can flatten slightly with the round part of the ladle.After a few seconds you can lift up your pancake and flip it.
When they are done I keep them covered in aluminium paper, that way they stay warm. Unless you have a que at the table already, then you can just serve them immediately.

You can serve your egg with your pancakes however you like; fried, poached, boiled...

My boyfriend loved these and if there's no way you can make your man eat salmon for breakfast, use bacon instead! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment