Sunday, May 12, 2013

Completely Home-Made Fajitas

Sometimes I need a pick me up and sometimes, there's nothing better than fajitas. Fajitas are one of the best dishes for me and I have made them for festive reasons and just "an evening at home with movies" reason. This time I made them because both me and the man had a craving for these... yes, once you start making these you'll crave them from time to time! Consider yourself warned. It's horrible and amazing at the same time. You start (day)dreaming about the cheddar cheese melting over the piping hot salsa, combining the browned meat with everything else. Later on the smooth, tangy guacamole will cool down the hot elements and this will end with the smoothness of the sour cream finishing off the amazing experience that is the fajita. Food of Gods, I tell you! 

I bet you feel like preparing this tonight after having read this ;)
I love them, they are a social meal, quick to make and can also easily be made in large amounts in case you have lots of people coming over. When this is the case, I make all the elements beforehand, add the warm components in the fajita and keep them warm in the oven, melting the cheddar cheese at the same time. Everyone has their own opinion on what these should look like, how the salsa should be made, the guacamole and so on. But I love each element on its own and I like it when each ingredient has it place in the dish, even though you eat it all together in one wrap. So as a rule, this recipe of mine is not very complicated for fear of the entirety of it become too rich. This way none of the elements will be left out in the taste of the fajita's!

What do you need? (for 4 fajita's, count 2 per person)

- 2 cans (200g x 2)  of tomatoes (chopped) 
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped (any colour you think is prettiest)
- 1/2 spanish chili, deseeded
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- a decent amount of cheddar cheese, grated
- 400g of minced pork
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime's juice
- a handful of finely chopped coriander
- 10g of dark chocolate
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- paprika powder
- large fajita wraps
- sour cream



What do you need to do?

The most important thing is to make sure you have enough time for the salsa to cook through and reduce enough for it to become thick and no linger liquid. So I suggest you start making this bad boy first. And it is simple enough. Grab a pan and add some olive oil. Once it gets hot add the onion and garlic and cook for a short while, making sure it doesn't burn by having the heat on at a medium stand and stirring regularly. When softened, add the bell pepper and chili and leave to cook for a while again until soft. at this point, you add some salt, pepper and the tomatoes. And in the spirit of South America I decided that, instead of sugar, I would add a piece of chocolate to the sauce to cut the tomatoes' acidity. Just a small piece about 10g or so. It add some sweetness but it is healthier than adding sugar to your tomato sauce and gives a different but subtle dimension to the salsa. 

Leave to simmer on a low heat until the liquid has reduced.


The next element to prepare it the guacamole. Usually guacamoles include tomatoes and red onion and many other ingredients, but I only kept it to olive oil, avocados, coriander, salt and lime juice. Combine all these ingredients and you have your perfect fajita guac. If you're wondering why I don't add all the other (necessary) ingredients it is because they are already to be found in the salsa. No use in doubling ingredients if you're going to chuck it all together anyway. Mash it all together and I promise, it is enough and your avocados' taste will truly jump from the dish instead of being smothered by extra raw onions.


Last but not least you need to brown your meat. again, very simple: pan, olive oil and when hot, add mince. While it is cooking, add the seasoning and paprika powder. This doesn't only add some extra taste to the meat, but colours it nicely and looks great when presented in a bowl should you do a BYOF (Build Your Own Fajita)-night.


And finally, put it all together! First you scoop a couple of spoons of meat onto the wrap, cover with salsa and cheddar. 
I don't preheat my wraps because I want my cheddar melted over my salsa. So I add the grated cheddar and stick it in the oven (or microwave) for a while. When you're happy, you continue building by adding some scoops of guacamole and finish it off with sour cream.

You are ready to dig in! 


This is a great dish, and everyone has their own way of preparing them, so don't be scared to alter it and add ingredients or do it differently. Often, the salsa is one of the cold elements in the fajita, I just like it warm because that way the cheese melts over it in a most addictive way!

No comments:

Post a Comment